I struggle without a program to follow as I just prevaricate in the mornings and end up doing nothing. So here’s my programme until the end of May
- Basic rule is to swim on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Always get to the pool as soon as it opens. Set an alarm for that
- Basic sessions is a 100m -> 600m -> 100m pyramid. So 3,600m. Speed is not important
- I can choose a different session if there is a reason (e.g. to swim with someone doing 30x 100m).
- I can drop one session if I replace it with riding to work and back.
- No planned lake swimming (but if someone else goes then I can go).
- Three hour bike ride on Saturdays (but two hours is ok in April as I may need to build up to it). I can swap to Sundays if the weather is looking way better than Saturday,
- No speed or power goals in April. It’s all about getting it done. From May, for a 10 minute harder session every hour and the last 30 minutes harder too.
- Monday and Thursday mornings, do 5 minute intervals on the turbo for an hour. This can be replaced by riding to work and back.
- Any evening I can spend time on the turbo if I want.
- If I fancy it, I can also do any bike ride on Sunday provided I’ve already done a long run.
- A long run on Sundays. This should be at least an hour in April, building to 21k by the end of May. This will be without a dog. Speed is not important
- Wednesday evenings, I will do a negative split treadmill session lasting 45 minutes. This can be Tuesday or Thursday if I know I have to work late or am riding home from work.
- Any lunch time I can go for a run. Aiming for at least 30 minutes, and at least three lunch times per week. Speed is not important.
- Any evening I can run (treadmill or outside, with dog or without).
- No planned sessions, but would be good to do once per week.
Swim;: 3:20 or so per week
Bike: 4:00 per week, going to 5:00 in May (plus more if I can ride in)
Run: 3:15 per week, going up in May to 4:15
Total: 10:30 to 12:30 per week.
That’s a lot more than I’m doing now.